The Curtis Funeral Home with over 150 years of service, was founded in 1865 by John M. Curtis. John was followed in the business by his son, Alexander H. Curtis, who had two sons enter the honored funeral profession.
John David and Charles V. Curtis partnered in the family business into the 1920’s, at which time John sold his interest and moved to Augusta, Georgia., later becoming the owner and operator of Platt’s Funeral Home.
Charles V. Curtis remained in Thomson running the family business until his death in 1938, at which time, his widow,. Macie Wylie Curtis, began to oversee the management of the funeral home.
In 1947, her nephew, Lawrence "Buddy" Wylie, entered the business and in 1950, Macie received her Georgia funeral director's license and with Buddy, continued to manage the funeral home for the next ten years.
In 1960 Buddy and his family moved to Augusta, Georgia, opening Augusta Burial Vault Company, at which time, Johnny Hadden, of Glascock County, joined the Curtis Funeral Home family to later become a partner in the funeral home with Ms. Macie. He faithfully continued to serve the families of Curtis Funeral Home for over 25 years, retiring in 1982.
In 1977, Buddy's son, Ms. Macie's great-nephew, John Foster Wylie, joined the Curtis Funeral Home. Foster received his funeral director and embalmer licensing in 1981 and with his father, continued to share in the operation and management of the family business.
Buddy retired from funeral service in 1985 leaving Foster as the manager of the family firm. Upon Buddy's passing in 2012 he honored his son by leaving the Curtis Funeral Home in his caring and capable hands to continue the family service to others in the community.
The family legacy is continuing with the addition of another McDuffie Countian, C. Randall Reese, who joined the Curtis Funeral Home family in 2011. Randall presently works with Foster in the daily operations of the funeral home.